Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The way of greatness

Last night at bitters myself and Jess Blenis had an interesting conversation I thought was really worth blogging on. It was talking about how sometimes composition can be such a chore and it's rough, and you just gotta plough through. But than on the other hand, sometimes when you get an idea all you wanna do is compose cause you're totally in love with the idea.

This discussion came about when she was asking me about my new piece. And That's how I feel about it. I wrote more music in one week than I have in 4. And that's why, that's exactly why. I am in love with the idea and always want to keep adding to it and making it better. Where as with the concert band piece, it was a astruggle to get to the computer or to the keyboard to expand on what I have.

Here's the thing... I don't feel satisfied with my first project of the three piano pieces. They were the sort of compositions that took a lot of grunt work and I'm not overly happy with the way they sound. My second composition from last term was the same way.... a lot of forced work with unsatisfied results. However the piece I entered in the arts and letters, as well as my first composition project from last semester I lived in and was very inspired by them.

So my question is;
does it take inspiration to make music that I will be personally satisfied with? and if so is there any way to seek this inspiration or come up with an inspiring idea? or would it be better to steer clear of the inspiring ideas and become the best at working with ok ideas and making them good technically? or like, approach them as practice instead of something that people will see?

perplexing

1 comment:

  1. Great questions, Josh! In fact, they have inspired me to write a blog about it...

    ReplyDelete