Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Road Block

Last week after class, I felt really insecure and unhappy with the piece I had written thus far for concert band. It was very linear and still very introductory. I really loved the theme I had and some of the development of that theme, however I felt as a whole it was unorganized and sloppy. I didn't have a plan really, I was just going with what I had and developing that as much as I could, leaving any aspect of form thus far out to dry.

I also couldn't think of anything else to add to what I have done. There are limitless possbilities of places for that piece to go, the problem is none of them satisfy me at this point. I could just not get anywhere with what I have and that was that. I was frustrated.

I than decided to leave this piece for a while. I realized that I've given it everythign I could for now, and I'm tired of the type of composing when it becomes monotinous (see next blog). I wanted excitment and passion when I compose, as lame as it may sound. So I found something that I loved. I was playing my classical guitar one night and this little dark motive came to me. I was so pumped...and please note that I had not yet given up on the concert band piece until I was sure I could really go somewhere with this new idea.

I plan on revisiting the band piece and finishing it soon. Just not in time to enter the composition (sadly). But you gotta go with what's working.

No comments:

Post a Comment