Monday, March 15, 2010

Cross Roads.

So,
I Haven't been blogging in a good long time. I never really feel like I have much to say I guess. I guess it's also possible I expect to need to have something of some significance to say in a blog, but maybe not. Either way, here is what I beleive to be significant, and just an update of what has been going on with my piece for concert band.

I stuck with the feathering out of single lines, and building and diminution. And so far that has been great. I now have the Introduction more or less complete. I always tweak it, for instance I decided to give more of a pedal tone in the tuba, to give it a darkness which I am kind of going for in this piece.

Anyways, much of the introduction has kind of gotten away from me...in a good way. It didn't quite go how I was expecting, but I am much happier with the project so far. There are a great deal of motives that developed from the supporting instruments which gives me a lot of options for the grand middle section.

And that's exactly where I stand. I have a sort of middle section beginning to take shape, but I honestly had a little fugue like idea with the beginning material planned to take the middle section. I really like both ideas, and I'm trying to incorerate them both some how, although they are both so different I am not sure that this will be entirley possible. However, whichever idea i end up going with, will need to have a more concrete feel that the introduction.

2 comments:

  1. Josh, regarding your comment about never really feeling like you have much to say, I would just point out that all you need to be doing in these blogs is recording comments received, and your very brief reactions to them.

    It's also okay to go beyond that and muse on the direction your piece is going, or possible directions it could go, but there is no need to do so.

    My primary goal in creating a blog component for this course was to make sure people (a) made the effort to record any feedback received (because many students over the years seemed to ignore a lot of the suggestions made by classmates and myself, and so we would find ourselves making the same suggestions every week), and (b) get students to think about the suggestions, even if they ended up rejecting them (which is fine).

    Again, a long, reflective blog entry is fine — I always enjoy reading these kinds of entries because it gives me a glimpse into how students' minds work, which is useful to me in my teaching — but not necessary.

    So, I would just encourage you to make more frequent, shorter entries... I am a bit concerned that we are beginning the tenth week of classes and I think this might only be your fourth blog entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops... miscounted... this is your sixth entry, not fourth. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete