Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Oh The Possibilities

Composing a piece for concert band is much much more challenging to get started, and to develop ideas than I ever imagined. Mind you at this stage I have started and am well on my way, but getting it started was very strange. First off, I'm not the biggest fan of band music, or a majority of the band music I've heard. I appreciate it, but in the way I appreciate metal bands (appreciate the technical side, but can't get past the cheese). But that's the reason I chose this. I wanted to challenge myself to make something I really enjoy with minimal influences in the genre.

One of the biggest advantages, or the biggest plus sides of writing for band is the endless possibilties. With the last project I felt confined. Not only because it was for solo piano, but because I didn't compose as intuitivley as I normally do to push myself to grow and be able to do things more cognitivley. But aside from that, I was sick of thinking on a keyboard, there are so many limiting factors. With writing for band I'm in love with the different colors, and how I am able to change the harmony rather discretley by continuing with one color while adding a new color underneath with a different pitch class. The layering itself is becoming a whole new artform to me, and the way I spell chords......

Although these possibilities are a blessing, they are a curse. I say this because I am not writing in a chordal style, which creates a lot of work in working out the polyphony, but it's great pedagogically I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment