Tuesday, December 7, 2010

New Adventures

This past semester I am thankful for the progress that I've made in my composition. I feel like I'm developing somewhat of a voice with the music I write. The funny thing is, is that I am able to hear the relationship with my music in all of my compositions thus far, even though they may be totally different works.
I believe the music I write is getting better, however I still feel rather conservative with my writing. I wonder if breaking down those barriers is something that takes time to achieve. That seems to be the way in which it has been working for me.

When I look back to my first project in 3100, my character piece for glock and piano, it is atonal however still very consonant. This is logical I guess, I always strive to create something that is pleasing to listen to.

My attempt at writing a band piece last year in 4100 was my first attempt at handling dissonance. And ever since I've been introducing it a little more. I guess I'm still figuring out the most tasteful way to use dissonance and have it be pleasing. I respect when music can be highly dissonant but very pleasing all at the same time, however I have been unable to do this to any great degree at this point. I guess it's something I'm still striving for.

No comments:

Post a Comment