Sunday, October 3, 2010

Back to The Drawing Board

Starting off this project was a difficult task for me. With such an odd group of instruments, I was wondering what stylistically and sonically would work. Like every composition, starting an idea with promise is the hardest part (or at least for me).
For my main idea, I decided to base all of my material on what Schnittke does in his first string quartet and in other places of his music. Present a melody in a cannonic style and allow the melodic notes to form into the harmony. This idea in a way is a further development in counterpoint I guess, or at least it's a way of looking at it.

So I had this idea! Great! however, it took me a while to get running with it.
I Planned a form. I generated 2 themes and extracted multiple motives from this theme. I superimposed the motives over one another to make sure they make good counterpoint. But when it came down to it, I had no idea how to actually start this piece. I went through a good 10 trials before I just let go of the idea a little bit.

After letting go of that concept, Music finally started to happen. I just wrote out a rhythm I thought was pretty cool and expanded on it. My idea was in a way still present and able to be used later in the piece, however I'm going to follow through with this new motivic thing as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment