Monday, February 1, 2010

New Directions

Last week I was very fortunate to get a composition lesson with Derek Charke. It couldn't have happened at a better time because for my second piece, I was stuck. I had all the ideas that I wanted, but presentation of my ideas was really sloppy, directionless and I had only gotten so far with them.

One of the biggest things that I took away from this lesson was the idea of a line. In the section that I felt lacked the most direction, dr. Charke pointed out that there was little direction in it because each of the notes kind of floated around, and to give it direction he suggested that I put in a descending line in the bass. This gives a paticular line for the audience to hold on to and it gives a very clear direction. A very simple solution, yet it's something that I haven't really thought about.

Another big thing I took away was the amount of times I am allowing things to repeat. It's something I'm very concious of this semester, however I cannot tell how much is too much, therefor he suggested to repeat things, but just use truncated versions of a paticular motive and develop that motivic idea, or just move on from that.

Very simple ideas and straight forward advice, but I appreciate it because it's not exactly obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment